Monday, May 15, 2006


Day after day life just goes on. This was one of the quickest weekends ever. Tomorrow I start a new quarter—which translates to 10 weeks of work, work, work. I’m not complaining, it’s just how it is. So, this past weekend was my last “vacation weekend” and it sailed by.

Thursday we had my sister-in-laws graduation. I can sum it up in one word—BORING. I’m happy to support my sil, but, when there are 600 graduates and they announce her name towards the beginning, it tends to get a bit boring. Add to that the fact that we were way in the back—on the hard-ass bleachers—with all the riff-raff, and the suckiness factor doubles. I could barely hear the speakers, everyone felt that the spot next to me was the way to travel up the bleachers, nobody knew how to dress appropriately for a college graduation, or how to handle their umpteen amount of kids. Two hours later, the last thing I wanted to do was go “celebrate”, but we did (briefly).

Friday was graduation for our school. It was nice—and much shorter. The faculty sits up on the stage with the graduates, so audio was not an issue. I’ll never get over how much I hate the mortarboards—the damn thing kept creeping off my head the entire ceremony. Ann Beiler—founder of Auntie Anne’s Pretzels—was our keynote speaker. She also conducted a business luncheon earlier that afternoon (which I attended and really enjoyed). I had about a half a dozen of my students graduate, which was bittersweet. I’m happy for them and proud of them, but will miss them nonetheless.

Saturday was full of errands for Mom’s Day, but we did manage to go out to eat and catch a movie at home. At 8:30 Saturday night, I made myself a tall margarita and we settled in to watch King Kong. Don’t start KK that late. By 11:30 I barely had one eye open to see the end. It was an alright movie—just a little too long. We still have Waiting to watch before Thursday.

Sunday was grocery day and of course, Mother’s Day. Josh and I made our Mothers these really lovely herb & pepper baskets—with thyme, rosemary, cilantro, and golden bell peppers. We did our rounds—starting at 1:30—and were back home by 6:30. By 10 o’clock I was ready for bed. I know, pathetic.

Now, I’ve got one day to finish up my miscellaneous prep work before I’m back to the daily grind. Better finish my coffee and get to it.


Jen said...

Those baskets sound really neat! My mom would have loved one! Remind me next year.

Mr. Fabulous said...

Wow. That was a packed weekend.

I laid in the sun and watched baseball on TV. Period.